Gothenburg and West Sweden. It’s a little bit different…
Easily accessible and fast becoming one of Europe’s leading foodie destinations, Gothenburg makes for the perfect getaway. Culture, shopping, nightlife will keep you busy – while the city acts as a starting point for a journey up the “best” West Coast.
A wondrous archipelago offering something for everyone – from seafood safaris to kayak excursions – you won’t regret a trip to this genuinely unique area of natural splendour. The perfect combination of Scandinavian elegance and sense of adventure.
- A boat trip around Karingon. Darting in between tiny islands, meeting the seals of Seal Island before climbing the old lighthouse on Maseskar.
- Walking or going on a seafood safari when visiting The Weather Islands
- Cycling on South Koster Island, this tiny island in the North Sea - home to some sheep, a single shop, and 300 or so permanent residents - is as close to car free as a place can be.
- Hike the Pilgrim Path, a hike through the spectacular Dalsland lakeland scenery
- Stay in the 72 hour cabin in Dalsland, a unique night’s sleep, and mesmerising to watch the raindrops on the glass
- Fika at Da Matteo, a Gothenburg institution, the coffee shop is one of the originals to bring a different sort of coffee culture to the city. There are a few branches, but in summer you should make a beeline for the one at Vallgatan which has a large outdoor seating area in front of the mural (and there’s a wonderful little secret garden at the back).
- A boat trip with the Paddan boat, this hour-long trip is a lovely introduction to the city and some of its stories.
- Feasting on seafood in Gothenburg’s “Fish Church”, or Feskekyrka food market and restaurant
- Go for a swim and sauna in the open air urban swimming pool at Frihamnen Harbour.
Haga is one of the oldest part in Gothenburg. A charming neighbourhood with a lot of cafés and shops.
Foto: Along Dusty Roads
Foto: Along Dusty Roads
Gothenburg city, West Sweden
Foto: Studiografen/Göteborg & Co
Explore Gothenburg by tram
Foto: Anders Wester/Göteborg & Co
Hiking at the Koster Islands, West Sweden
Foto: Roger Borgelid
Väderöarna in West Sweden
Foto: Roger Borgelid/Wetsweden.com
The 72 Hour Cabin, West Sweden
Foto: Jonas Ingman/Westsweden.com
The public sauna, Gothenburg
Foto: Peter Kvarnström/Göteborg & Co